Brows: topshelf picks & one epic fail

Monday, May 22, 2017


I have a rocky history with my brows. Like many others who lived through the 90's, I overplucked them in my teens, which took many years to grow back and fix as an adult. I also have naturally light brown brows that are sparse in areas. All of this makes doing my brows a top priority in my makeup routine to make me feel more complete and pulled together.

Each morning I equip myself with a brow pencil, tinted gel, or a combo of both to get the job done. If I'm going for a quick fix, then Benefit's Gimme Brow is perfect. It's a tinted gel with fibers in it, so it adds a little oomph to my brows while still keeping them natural.

If I'm going for a little bit more definition I'll fill in the sparse areas with NYX Micro Brow Pencil in Ash Brown (a great dupe for Anastasia Brow Wiz!) and then set it with NYX Tinted Brow Mascara in Blonde. This combo makes them more defined than it would just with Gimme Brow, but it's still soft and not too perfect.

For more full on makeup looks, I'll reach for a similar but slightly darker combo of Anastasia Brow Wiz in Dark Brown and the NYX Tinted Brow Mascara in Brunette. Making them it a bit darker helps to balance out heavier makeup looks, especially smoky eyes.

Ok...onto the fail. As you can tell from the above I'm a huge fan of NYX brow products. Buuuuut, I tried the Auto Eyebrow Pencil in Medium Brown and within 30 seconds of applying it, the color changed from brown to orange. I'm not exaggerating - it was like clown brows. At least I wiped it off and re-did them that day with a different pencil so I didn't end up leaving the house looking insane. I haven't been that disappointed with a product in a long time.

Let me know what your favorite products are for improving your brows! Are you more of a natural or perfected brow person? I go more natural 90% of the time, but I always like how it looks when they're more perfected, too. 

Post a Comment

Latest Instagrams

© She Likes to Shop. Design by FCD.