So this is 30

Thursday, December 24, 2015

I'm officially 30. There. I said it out loud (sort of). Yes, as of December 6th, I became part of club 30's and left behind my fabulous 20's. Turning 30 has been a life event that I've been dreading and trying to ignore for quite some time. I liked being in my twenties. There's something about saying that I'm twenty-something that always seemed more palatable than saying I'm thirty. I enjoyed feeling like a young chicky, and being 30 seems instantly less fun. I suppose that wisdom and experience come with age, so there's that. I'm trying to deal with it positively and embrace it, though. It's just a number after all. Let's just hope I've inherited my grandma's anti-aging genes and always look much more youthful than I am!

The day itself was pretty low-key. The 6th was a Sunday and on the Friday before, my husband had sent me an Edible Arrangement at work to surprise me. (Chocolate covered fruit for the win!) On Sunday we ran a few errands and the Mr cooked a delicious dinner of lobster tail, scallops, and rice, followed by a grand finale of a mouth-watering cheesecake sampler tray that we picked up that afternoon. My parents took us out to dinner the next day for Mexican at one of our favorite spots, too.

This birthday has kicked in an awakening of sorts for me. Reality seems to have set in that several decades how now come and gone, and there's plenty of things I'd like to do as I move forward in this next chapter.

Get healthy // I eat garbage and barely move most days, so I really want to get my butt into gear on the whole health-front. The Mr and I are consciously starting to eat better- I'm cutting way down on sugars and am down about 6 lbs so far! We also joined a gym. That's a phrase I never thought I'd say. I've never belonged to a gym before, but I'm pleasantly surprised by it so far. I actually enjoy going and trying new machines that I've never used before. I'm really just looking to get back to a healthier weight and get a bit stronger. It's all about realistic goals right now.

Try new things // Instead of saying 'I always wanted to do that' I want to actually start doing some of those things. First up- snowboarding! It's something I always wanted to try, so I suggested it to the Mr (who used to snowboard) and we decided to jump on it. Two days later, we got the necessary gear and headed out to the slopes, about an hour and a half away from our house. I only managed to make it down the bunny hill once and I was ridiculously sore and bruised the next day from just practicing (and falling - a lot), but I'm looking forward to going back soon! I will say, it was hands-down the most physically exhausting sport I've ever tried in my life. Especially being as out of shape as I am (lol- see previous paragraph).

Declutter and get organized // I don't know about you, but my house seems to be in a constant state of messy at all times. It's starting to drive me nuts, so it's near the top of my to do list to get on top of it. A good closet clean out is in order and some better organization for everything that tends to pile up is much overdue.

Read more // Making the time to read more is something that I'm really striving for from now on. I used to read so much and with everything else that needs to be done every week, it's just fallen off as a priority. I have a whole stack of books next to my bed that I'm determined to make time to get to. Next up on the nightstand is And Then There Were None by Agatha Christie.

So there you have it, the big three-oh here and gone and I've survived to tell the tale. Honestly, it wasn't so bad and I'm grateful for every year that I'm given to be able to experience more in life! Hope you're all having a great day!

Post a Comment

Latest Instagrams

© She Likes to Shop. Design by FCD.