Current skincare routine: a.m., p.m. and everything in between

Monday, September 28, 2015



My skin is something that gets commented on both on the blog and in person relatively often. I take a lot of pride in my skin and think that it's a combination of being lucky to get very few breakouts nowadays and taking good care of it every day. I'm hoping I've inherited my grandma's anti-aging genes- I swear she didn't age at all during the last 20 years of her life! I'm going to preface this entire post my saying that I'm not an expert in skincare and I'm just sharing what works for me, which may not be what will be best for you. For your reference, my skin is currently sensitive and combination/dry.

A.M.  
Each morning for the past month or so, I've been reaching for the Simple Moisturizing Facial Wash. My skin was feeling pretty dry prior to switching to this and I can honestly say that it feels significantly more hydrated every day when I wash with this. After I'm all cleansed-up, comes the finishing steps. I use a toning spray (both morning and night) after cleansing and have been spritzing nothing but Lush's Breath of Fresh Air for months. After generously spraying this refreshing and nourishing toner that smells like the sea (love the scent!),  I apply a light layer of the Simple Replenishing Rich Moisturizer. I'm pretty impressed by the formula of this moisturizer, as it doesn't irritate my sensitive skin, a little goes a long way, and you really do feel like your skin stays moisturized for hours.

If you've been a reader around here for a while, then you've probably noticed that in pretty much all FOTD posts, I never mention a foundation. That's because 99% of time I don't use any. Don't get me wrong, I feel like foundation can be great for balancing skin tone, hiding blemishes and scars, and making a nice, even-toned base. However, it always makes my skin feel like it can't breathe all day and is super clogged for days to follow. This might just be me, but I feel like going foundation-free helps my skin to be healthier and have less breakouts. I will apply a tinted moisturizer every once in a while, though, so I completely understand wanting more coverage from time to time.

P.M.
My makeup removal varies, depending on what I have on and my laziness at night, honestly. On nights when I'm tired and can't be bothered for intense makeup removal I'll use the Up & Up makeup removing wipes (not pictured) or the Simple Micellar Cleansing Wipes. (I'm shaking my head at myself for using wipes, but we all know the struggle...) On tough as nails waterproof mascara (I'm lookin' at you Lash Sensational) I'll reach for an oil-based makeup remover pad to get off the excess that won't budge. I really like these pre-soaked eye makeup remover pads from Almay. On evenings when I'm actually being good about my skincare, my favorite makeup removing and cleansing hybrid is the cult favorite Ultrabland from Lush. The texture is somewhere between an oil and a balm and leaves your skin feeling both clean and hydrated. As I said in the A.M. routine, I follow up cleansing with a few sprays of toner water and moisturizer.

Everything in Between
Aside from the typical cleansing and moisturizing, there are a few others steps that I consistently keep in my routine to keep my skin looking as radiant and youthful as possible. I dont ever sleep in makeup. Ever.  Even on those nights when you come home after having far too many drinks and can barely function, I still take two minutes to quickly remove my makeup. Your skin will thank you the next day. I'm also an extreme stickler for sunscreen, especially on my face. If I know I'll be outdoors for more than 10 minutes, some form of spf will be on my face. I'd rather not risk getting the dreaded lobster-look from sunburn, premature aging, or (most importantly) risk my long-term health.

Masks are your friend when your skin is dry, acting up, seen too much sun, or recovering from a night out. I like the Origins Drink Up Mask for either spot treatments of dry areas or a hydration boost for my entire face (full review here). BioRepublic Sheet Masks are a favorite of mine, as well. The Aloe Rescue mask is so good after a day in the sun - I used it one day this summer after I was outside all day and my face felt so cooled and soothed after I used it! Lastly, let your skin have one day off a week. Unless I have some serious plans, every week I abide by makeup-free Sunday. Every Monday morning, my skin feels cleaner and less irritated because of it.



Oh boy, the makeup free selfie. (It was makeup-free Sunday when I took it, of course!) Well, there you have it, my daily routine and some tips and tricks for what keeps my skin looking and feeling healthy. I'd love to know what products and tricks you swear by in your skincare routine!

I hope you all had a great weekend! Of course as soon as I finished working crazy hours, I got sick. Isn't that always the way? Ugh. I'm definitely feeling a lot better than I was a few days ago, so things are looking up! What is everyone up to this week? The Mr and I have a wedding to go to on Saturday for my cousin. I've finally found a dress, so now I just have to decide how to style it and what makeup and hair combo to go for! Have a great week!

Post a Comment

Latest Instagrams

© She Likes to Shop. Design by FCD.