My favorite taupe shadow sticks

Thursday, June 18, 2015

"They're similar, but they're not the same..." You know the phrase. Every beauty addict has said it trying to justify buying something that looks just like something else that they already own. Well, I'm definitely guilty of that. Apparently I'm the worst offender of this when it comes to taupe shadow sticks.

Taupe eye shadow is my weakness. I don't know what it is about this shade, especially if it has a slight purple undertone, but if I see it, then I have to try it. These three are my favorites in cream form, and although they look very similar, there are some subtle differences between them. I'm apologizing in advance that these are not the cheapest, but I'll add some more affordable options that have a similar look, too.

Mally Evercolor Shadow Stick in Rosy Taupe has more of a pink undertone than the others and is the least shimmery, as well. As the most subtle of the bunch, I prefer this one for a more natural day. It's creamy and easy to blend, but once it sets it doesn't budge all day. 

Laura Mercier Caviar Stick in Amethyst is one of my all time favorite shadows- a very bold statement coming from an eye shadow addict! When the light catches it, the sheen of the shadow has a purple tone to it that's eye enhancing, especially for green eyes. (See it in action here.) The quality of the Laura Mercier shadow sticks is fantastic, too. You don't need a primer and they blend out quickly and easily, almost adding an extra dimension to the shadow once blended. 

By Terry Ombre Blackstar in Misty Rock is definitely the splurge of the three. If you're like me, then you've probably had your eye on this forever. And let me tell you, it's definitely a stunner! The undertones to this one are somewhere between pink and purple, but if you've seen it on other blogs or on YouTube, then you know it somehow looks different on everyone. My favorite part of the shadow is the silver micro-shimmer running through it that gives the lid a wet look when applied. So gorgeoussss! (Also, if you're subscribed to Birchbox, it's now in the shop, so if you have some earned points you can use them to get this shadow for a little bit less, like I did!) 
A few similar and more affordable cream shadows that I've been able to find, but don't own (yet!) are the Kiko shadow stick in 05 Rosy Brown (this is supposedly an excellent dupe for Misty Rock), Maybelline's Color Tattoo in Black Orchid (limited edition), and the Rimmel Scandaleyes Shadow Stick in Bluffing (a bit more pinky nude, but a similar finish). 

I'd love to know what makeup you're constantly drawn to that you always buy! 

23 comments

  1. Oh my those really look similar! I really like discovering dupe brands that's cheaper but deliver the same. Thanks for sharing! :)

    Miss Eleigh Neux | Bloglovin

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I swatched them I literally thought "OMG these look exactly the same!" haha

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love to wear taupe. I don't own any of these. Love the look of Rosy Taupe, so pretty!
    Nati xx
    www.simplyartdicted.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ohh love that the more affordable shadows look just as good too.

    Mimi & Chichi

    ReplyDelete
  5. those are nice shimmer shades!! :D

    Animated Confessions

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very good post!

    Win 120$ coupon to shop SheIn PANAMA ASTI

    post comments or reviews... Me will be very nice :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I never used to gravitate towards that shade but it really looks flattering on everyone! Such a good neutral!

    ReplyDelete
  8. They're so close! Even some of the drugstore options are pretty similar!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the hint of sheen running through them!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I was actually in Ulta just yesterday and came across Mally (never heard of it before), I swatched Rosy Taupe and uggggh I've just been thinking about it since then. It's such a beautiful color, glad to hear it has long lasting powers too! May need to go back and pick it up.


    Cindy // www.cindyhyue.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Taupe eyeshadow is amazing! For me, they darken the eyes just a tad, looking almost natural, and I love it! Rosy Taupe and Amethyst looks gorgeous! Love the colour!

    xx Bash | Bash Says Hey | bloglovin'

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'd definitely recommend it! A creamy formula that sets and doesn't budge! Love that shade!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I totally agree! Amethyst is definitely a favorite!

    She Likes to Shop

    ReplyDelete
  14. I've heard amazing things about Misty Rock but the price is so high, I can't justify it for one cream shadow. But I have Black Orchid and absolutely love it. It's such a beautiful colour, doesn't crease, and looks amazing alone or as a base.

    Katherine || The Green Bows

    ReplyDelete
  15. I completely agree about the price. Over $40 for one shadow is insanity. I saw it pop up in Birchbox and I had about $20 of points to cash in so I snagged it for about $20. Still not ideal but way better than it was. I could never justify paying that much for one shadow. Glad to hear black orchid is good! I looked all over for it and could never find it!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm a big fan of eye shadow crayons. Especially those kind of shades. They are literally the best thing for when you have no time to do your eyeshadow! Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks! Quick and easy is always a bonus!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. It's so pretty! Love the silver shimmer in it!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great choices, the colors are going to look great on you. I love shimmer in the summer.


    http://www.racheldinh.com

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thanks! I'm such a sucker for anything in this color!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Aren't they so pretty?! Love them!

    ReplyDelete

Latest Instagrams

© She Likes to Shop. Design by FCD.