Hello Sunshine! Prep your wardrobe, makeup, and hair for summer!

Monday, June 29, 2015

Sunglasses. Shorts. Sandals. I look forward to summer all year. It may have something to do with the fact that my home is pelted with snow for far too many months, or it may be because I love being able to walk outside barefoot whenever I please. Either way, summer is my favorite season and it's here! I'm bringing you my top tips for getting summer ready, as well as a little Summer Survival Checklist from Madison Reed!

Fashion
The weather is hotter, the sun is brighter and now the question is 'What am I going to wear?' The moment winter ends, I start to shop for some additions to my summer wardrobe. Once summer is upon us I like to dive into it by pulling out my printed rompers, since it makes a cute outfit in one simple step. I love pairing rompers with my favorite sunglasses, some stacked bracelets, and shoes that you don't need to wear socks with. (If I can avoid wearing socks most of the summer, I will! #footfreedom) Sperry and Converse are some of my fave shoes to reach for in summer.

Beauty
Moving into warmer days always means changing up some areas of my beauty routine. One of my favorite ways to jump into summer is with a colorful eye liner! Purple, blue, and metallics are always great for a summery twist in your makeup routine, especially along the lower lash line. Incorporating more highlighters, glossy lips, and shimmery shadows are a must for welcoming summer, too! Don't forget to prep your skin for seeing more sunlight by applying spf to your face, neck and ears daily- it's a must to keep your skin healthy and youthful for years to come! I reach for a Neutrogena SPF 55 for my face. And don't forget the rest of your skin- a spray-on sunscreen is quick and easy to apply all over before you head outside!

With my feet and legs out for all to see, I always make sure to visit the nail salon for a pedicure in a bright, summery color so I'm ready to throw on sandals at any time. I went for a cheerful pink with a slight coral tone to bring in summer this year. One of the most important routines for me is exfoliating my legs before shaving and moisturizing them after. My favorite products to use are both from Lush- Ocean Salt for exfoliating and Sympathy for the Skin for moisturizing. That store is such an enabler...

Hair
When summer rolls around, one of the first things I do is make an appointment with my stylist to trim my hair and spruce up the color. I don't have the guts to chop it off into a cute bob (maybe someday!), so long hair is my look for the season. Since I'm keeping my hair long, on sweltering day I like to go for a messy top knot or a sleek low pony to stay cool. For color, although you may think 'summer = blonde', you have to do what you know looks best on you, so I stick with a dark brown laced with a slight red tone that really ignites when the light hits it. If you looking to update your color for summer, Madison Reed offers a great range of shades that you can dye your hair at home with! Let the color advisor on their site guide you to the color that will be best for you! I'm most drawn to Verona Brown or Sardinia Red for myself! The formula of the Madison Reed colors is healthier than most at-home dyes too, as it uses less chemicals and includes strengthening ingredients, like keratin and argan oil. To protect your color from fading, make sure to use a leave in conditioner with UVA and UVB protection daily (I swear by the UniqOne Hair Treatment, and it now comes in a coconut scent- perfect for summer!) 

Last, but not least, my number one tip for getting ready for summer is hydration! Keep chugging that water all day to avoid dehydrating when the temperature rises. Drinking more water makes for overall good health and glowing skin, and that's gorgeous year-round!

Make sure to check out Madison Reed's Summer Survival Checklist below for a great warm-weather guide!

23 comments

  1. Exfoliating my legs is a must for summer! Especially when wearing shorts and skirts.

    http://arnellavanilla.com/category/home/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful look, nice watch!

    https://missgrey.ro/blog/ce-purtam/rochii-de-gala-lungi-si-scurte-top-3-modele-in-voga/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very interesting post! Thank you!

    http://talis.ro/evening/gloria-dress/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Absolutely! If you do it before you shave your legs it makes them so much smoother too! (TMI? Lol)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you! The watch is an everyday staple for me!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It soo does!! Makes shaving easier too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have that romper, lady! Great minds. :)

    -Ashley
    Le Stylo Rouge

    ReplyDelete
  8. Amazing post,my dear!
    Antonella xoxo
    beautylove7694.blogspot.com .

    ReplyDelete
  9. haha Awesome! It's honestly comfier than pajamas!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks Jennifer! Glad you liked them!

    ReplyDelete
  11. These are some great tips :) I totally went for metallics for my eyes as soon as the heat wave hit. I still don't own a sun hat though, so I should start looking.

    Fashionably,

    Patricia

    There's a new GIVEAWAY on http://www.wingsforliberty.com/

    ReplyDelete
  12. great post for summer preparation

    exfoliating, shaving and moisturising your legs is a must must must haha

    xx

    http://anoddgirl.blogspot.com.au

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love a good shimmery eye- especially when the light catches it!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful light makeup look. Just perfect for summer (: I hate wearing much makeup when it's that hot
    Nati xx
    www.simplyartdicted.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. On June 1st I went to the hair salon and had my hair chopped to a little above my shoulders. It is nice to feel "lighter" but boy oh boy do I miss my long hair!! Sure, I always had it in a bun but in a way it's like a safety blanket for me. Ah well, whatever... it's just hair, it'll grow back. I'm trying to drink more water! I'm awful at this :|

    Jessica
    Pyreflies.org

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks! I definitely like to keep it pretty simple during summer!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I wish I was brave enough to cut my hair! I've been thinking about a long bob for so long, but I just can't do it! :( I always struggle with drinking enough water, too, but it's always a goal for me!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love your dress<3 you look amazing

    follow for follow?:)

    xoxo

    http://hilarynirvana.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  19. You have such beautiful eyes! The choice of sunglasses really compliments your face. :)

    Louise | www.louisechelleblog.com
    Added you in my reading list. Hope we can be blogger friends :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thanks so much! That's so sweet!

    ReplyDelete

Latest Instagrams

© She Likes to Shop. Design by FCD.