Hair Care Tips

Wednesday, July 2, 2014

I am certainly no expert in the area of hair care, but I've learned a few things along the way. As a woman who loves to dye her hair every other month and uses straighteners or curling irons on it nearly every day, I definitely need to take steps to keep it healthy. Here's a few little tidbits I've discovered that I thought I'd share with you:

1. Alternate shampoos and conditioners often. Your hair can get used to a shampoo if you use it constantly, making it less effective. I usually have two to three shampoo and conditioner sets in my shower at once (although half of them are usually samples from Birchbox and Ipsy) and I alternate them every few days. Plus, let's be honest, I do love to try out different shampoos any chance I can get!

2. When washing your hair, conditioner should only be applied to the ends. The oils from your scalp naturally condition the top portion of your hair, so applying conditioner there tends to make it overly moisturized and a bit oily.

3. Leave in conditioner is your friend. I use the Uniq One All in One Hair Treatment when I get out of the shower as a detangler/leave in conditioner every single day. I helps my hair to stay soft and moisturized and, as it's a detangler, less hair breaks when I comb it. After my hair is dry I also apply a coin-sized portion of another leave in conditioner to the ends of my hair to add a bit of moisture back in to the driest areas. This helps to combat against the dry air of winter and the heat and humidity of the air in summer. I've been using the Garnier Leave in Conditioning Cream for years. It's effective, smells good, and is really inexpensive.

4. Always, always, always use a heat protectant when using a hair dryer, straightener, curling iron, etc. I am completely guilty of not doing this at all until a few months ago and still not doing it regularly. Although the Uniq One treatment I apply after the shower has some heat protection, I still use an additional heat protectant if I am styling my hair with heat later that day or the next day. I've been using the Tresemme Heat Tamer Spray and I think it does it good job. Just spray it all over your hair, give it a few minutes to dry, and style as usual.
I hope some of these tips are helpful for your hair care routine! Let me know any of your tips in the comments below!

4 comments

Latest Instagrams

© She Likes to Shop. Design by FCD.