At Home Manicure Tips

Monday, June 9, 2014

I'm no expert at doing my own nails, and they always turn out better when I go to a salon to have them done. But, I don't always have time to go, so I usually end up painting them myself. I've learned a few tricks along the way, so I thought I'd share some of them with you!

First, I always start my doing a light buffing of the top of my nails to rough up the nail. This helps the base coat to adhere to the nail better and smooths out any ridges on the top of the nail to make it look smoother. I use the Revlon Nail Buffer- it does a great job of smoothing out imperfections on my nails while still keeping it rough enough to cling to the base coat. 
Unbuffed (still pretty shiny and you can see the ridges)
Buffed (smoother and more matte)
I also always do a base coat no matter what. The base coat will help your polish to last longer and keep the polish from staining your actual nail. I typically use the Sally Hansen Double Duty Base and Top Coat as my base coat. Whenever you use a base coat, make sure you let it dry for 30 seconds to a minute before applying your polish. If you don't wait for a little bit, the polish will drag through the base coat and look messy.
My last tip I just discovered within the last year and it's absolutely awesome! I picked up the Sally Hansen Salon Manicure Dry & Go Drops thinking that it was a top coat (I clearly didn't read the label very well!) and I was really skeptical once I realized what it was. Basically, once you have finished applying your top coat, wait about a minute and put on a few drops from the little dropper. I'm not even exaggerating, within a couple of minutes, your nails will be completely dry!! Love it! 
Here's the finished product:
Main color: Essie Play Date

Post a Comment

Latest Instagrams

© She Likes to Shop. Design by FCD.